Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Dialogue with Non-Music...

 A while back, Jesus Christine said this about Jeff Milo:

In twenty years, the future music scene of Detroit and the world (barring any apocalypse that may be in store) will look upon the musical culture creations seething from the sidewalk cracks in this city with nostalgia, curiosity and reverence. I'm serious. Be as cynical as you want (we are notoriously cynical about everything), but it's true: the art we make here is incomparable to any other place on Earth. And when the music nerds of the future geek out on our yet-to-be-named era of Detroit music (post-garage? I'm working on it) like us kids look upon the New York post-punk no-wave scene of the late 80s, they will turn to the key figure in the documentation of this time, these venues, these crazy people and the things they do.

That key figure will be undoubtably Jeff Milo.

They will pore through digital stacks of Jeff's writing, his interviews, flourished depictions of guitarists' demeanors, moments at shows described as spiritual experiences (with a monk's inspiration!), and the strange quirks of the keyboardists who can't stay on stage. 3am interviews at Dunkin' Donuts with scruffy, wild-eyed thirty-somethings will become richly romantic scenes to the musicians of the future. Because of Jeff's equal and unfettered love of both music and words, the misplaced underbelly of this town will be forever remembered in the most fantastic way; the most honest and glorious way, through his eyes.

I must say that I agree with some of the stuff she says. I believe that some of Milo's writings will be used as source material at some point in the future. However, I think the researcher(s) will be trying to answer questions that Christine isn't anticipating. The question is more likely to be "Why didn't (insert band name) get more recognition when they were active?", or "Why didn't (insert musician/songwriter's name) previous band become as successful as his/her current band?". If that researcher is lucky, they'll come across one of Milo's interviews or articles, because he does a great job capturing as much of the story as possible. By reading between the lines, and taking in what isn't said or asked, the conclusions will probably often be that the musicians and bands in Detroit during this time just couldn't get out of their own way.

This doesn't mean that I'm taking back what I said about his music reviews. I still can't read his descriptions of music without rolling my eyes. Take "forever burning itself into the eyes of my ears...". What the fuck? If someone said "forever burning itself into the eyes of my ears" to you in a conversation, wouldn't you have an uncontrollable fit of laughter?

I hope that Milo's semi-hiatus isn't permanent, our overly long. I hope that one day he'll find the answer to the question he keeps asking, "what does it all mean?". His dream of one day creating a Unified Detroit Scene Theory is truly his holy grail.

I like to think of him as the Superman to my Bizarro. He writes about musical content, and either doesn't have negative opinions, or withholds them from his writings. I never write about musical content, and I leave you to believe that I either don't have any positive opinions (well, most of the time), or that I withhold them from my blog.


His writing serves a noble purpose. His words, past, present, and future, will always burn itself into the anus of my navel.

6 comments:

  1. "His writing serves a noble purpose. His words, past, present, and future, will always burn itself into the anus of my navel. "

    This will be tweaked for a more personal flare and etched on my catacomb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be buried in a catacomb? Being buried in an alcove of an underground tunnel is actually a pretty awesome idea. The only thing cooler would be to have your frozen corpse blasted off into space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The coolest and most fitting (in terms of ego) would be cryogenics. But I think we both already knew that.

    -jr

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so dumb even for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to have you back, "jr sucks" guy

    ReplyDelete